Friday, August 5, 2011

Meet Rae Loosie

I never knew what I wanted to be growing up, never really even thought about it. I didn't apply for college or even take the SATs. I was just having too much fun living in the moment. Once I graduated from high school, I was like oh crap! What do I do now? Having no plans, I signed up to take my basics at a community college, and literally picked a career out of the newspaper and ran with it. I thought I had it all figured out, I would become a paralegal and then off to law school and then work as an attorney for animal rights.

Almost 10 years later, I look back and realized I didn't even give myself a chance to be happy, or be the person I wanted to be. So now, I work in a position that I hate, working for the corporate world against all of the betterment of mankind. And then, I woke up. I don't want to do this anymore. I can't sit at a desk all day and pretend to care about how much our client should pay out on an insurance claim.

The one good thing about attending college, was I took some Women's Studies classes, it was that or Spanish. I started realizing that there was this whole other world of feminism and women’s rights that I had no idea existed, because I was too busy being in my own world, worrying about my own issues. It really opened my eyes to new possibilities. Also, my boyfriend at the time (husband now) introduced me to the world of the Riot Grrrl movement. I was hooked. I absorbed much of my life into learning everything I could about that culture that I had no idea existed. I picked up bass and have been in three successful girl bands, because of my love of this movement. I had no idea there were other girls out there experiencing the same things that I had gone through. Playing music was the most important thing in my life and it made me happy. Playing on stage and having the audience sing along and yell out your songs is such an amazing feeling.

But those feelings were short-lived, I had to return to my day job and work for the "man." I would go through phases where I just wanted to quit my job and go on the road and play bass all day. Or do something equally as creative. Sitting in an office all day was sucking the life force out of me. During these phases, I vowed to make a change and find something better to do for my life, but my attempts were always short-lived.

Finally, fed up with my lack of motivation, I decided that it must stop. I can't be turning 30 and not have anything to show for myself. So I sent an email, did some research, and I think I finally found what I want to do. I don't want to give too much away on what I'm planning, cause its still in a fragile state, but I believe that it will be a great addition to the Dallas area and hopefully will help other girls have the chance to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is if your not happy fix the issue until you’re happy. Don't be stuck in something you hate, because it will start affecting the stuff that actually makes you happy. Life is too short.

1 comment:

  1. "I guess what I’m trying to say, is if your not happy fix the issue until you’re happy. Don't be stuck in something you hate, because it will start affecting the stuff that actually makes you happy. Life is too short."

    Best advice anyone could ever give someone else (girl or guy)

    ReplyDelete